November 13, 2009

yesterday's nap time

I am definitely not a singer. I do sing along with the radio and belt out songs in my car but only when I am alone because I do not have any false realities. I know I can not sing. However, since Rhett was a baby, on occasion I would sing him lullabies. I usually only do this when he has a hard time relaxing which isn't often. Rhett is a dream to put down for naps and bed usually. However, yesterday I put him down for a nap, knowing he was exhausted, and he just screamed! He continued for quite some time. I finally went in to calm him down and took his blanky that had just come out of the dryer. I held him, rocked him in my arms and started signing to him, a tender moment . . or so I thought. He looked up and immediately put his hand over my mouth and chuckled at himself! Seriosly! Even my own child doesn't like my signing. I thought he would be older when he started being embarrased by me and started not liking the things I did. Guess not.
Well, I put him back in his crib with his blanky and he never made another peep. He is definitely a blanket baby! He has always liked his blankies and had gravitated toward this one however if it wasn't available he would make do with another, not anymore! I tried to go buy an additional one before his gets too worn and he knows the difference but they don't carry them anymore. Of course! Plan B, head to the fabric store to see if I can make one. Although this does pose a challenge, to have him be so attached to a blanket I kind of like it. I was absolutely a blanket KID. Kid because I was 7 before I got rid of it, rather, it was gotten rid of for me by a family member who thought I was too old. It is still a debate in our family because no one will fess up to it. I was devastated! But just like me, Rhett is not allowed to take it anywhere. It remains only for sleeping in his crib and an occasional snuggle while watching cartoons with mom or dad.

And because every good post needs a picture . . .here is Rhett sleeping with his blanky! He doesn't always sleep like this (nor does he usually sleep in his diaper) but I went in to get him up and this is how I found him. He is quite the mover in his sleep!

3 comments:

Liz Rose said...

Will is totally a blanket baby!! I love it!!! The other two weren't---they were binki babies....so we'll see if I have to ween him from this. :)
Cute story about the singing...you'll be glad you wrote that down.

Kylie said...

You crack me up. Love the picture. :)He is a lot like you, probably in a lot of ways, that haven't even become apparent. Probably a lot more like Randy than you know too, but we won't go there. Its too scary.... haha

Barb's blessings said...

Roger still has his "Bwe bwe." He took it with him when he moved out and he says he still has it.(He's 29.) I had three of them and just kept them all in the same state of disrepair so he didn't really know which was which. From what I could see from the picture, I think it was the same kind of blanket except it was blue. I have found them at Penneys a couple of times. I buy a couple whenever I find them so I can give them as shower gifts. Brett is so cute! You are a cute family.