I had planned on giving an update on Rhett's burns today after his doctor's appointment however, I thought the update would be more positive then it is. It was 2 weeks ago yesterday that Rhett burned his arm. We saw his pediatrician today who hasn't seen him in a week and half because he was out last week. He is not happy with how long it is taking for Rhett's burns to heal. He said that they are deep second degree burns! He said to continue dressing his bandages every day for five more days and then we will recheck. If he isn't happy with them at that point he will refer us to the plastic surgeon. He is concerned that the burns might be too deep to heal on their own and that a skin graft might be necessary!
We have decided that we are going to go ahead and get the name of the plastic surgeon and book an appointment. We feel that it is better to move forward then to wait and see.
That being said . . . Skin grafts! I had a pit in my stomach. It took a minute for it to sink in and then came the questions but of course, by then, you have already left the doctor's office. Does that mean they have to take skin from another part of his body? Will they use cadaver skin? Does that mean he needs skin from an infant cadaver? That makes my stomach feel worse. My little baby would have to be put under. I am not afraid of being put under. I, myself have been put under, like 10 times, seriously, not exaggerating but my little boy?!?! That is much more difficult. I absolutely know I am getting ahead of myself but these are things that run through your head.
So, now we will just wait to see when we can get into the plastic surgeon and what he has to say. Rhett, is handling the whole thing like a champ. Still not phased by the whole thing and even sits still for us to change his bandages now. What a kid!
October 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'll tell you what they told me.....he will not remember going through this. I know it doesn't help you now, but it is true. I'm sorry you have to go through this!
What a bummer. :( We'll say a little prayer for your little guy.
OMG, It has been forever lady, how are you? Parenthood isn't great? all the ups and downs that come along with it? Rhrett is cute as ever, hope his burn gets better. I miss you wa have to get together. here is my new email address email me...Angelfam1199@gmail.com
xoxoxox
Amanda Cardenas
Post a Comment